[Lustre-discuss] Upgrading From Lustre 1.4 to 1.8

Adam adam at sharcnet.ca
Thu Jun 10 13:21:55 PDT 2010

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> I'm curious if it
>> would/should also work with an older version of Lustre like 1.4.
>>

> Yes, a rolling upgrade from (perhaps only later versions of) 1.4 to 1.6
> should work and then a rolling upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8.
>
> I would consider trying to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.8 a very risky, and
> likely-to-fail, proposition.

That's what seems so great about the idea of a rolling-upgrade, if you
have enough spare hardware to do it, then a 1.4 and 1.8 environment can
be made available for testing at the same time. If the 1.8 set fails
then no worries, flip back to the 1.4 set, then try again by downgrading
the 1.8 set to 1.6.

Is there risk in terms of something destructive that 1.8 might try to do
to a component of the LFS?

Thanks,
Adam