[Lustre-discuss] Curious about iozone findings of new Lustre FS

Jagga Soorma jagga13 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 11:50:59 PST 2010

Hi Guys,

I have just deployed a new Lustre FS with 2 MDS servers, 2 active OSS
servers (5x2TB OST's per OSS) and 16 compute nodes.  Attached are our
findings from the iozone tests and it looks like the iozone throughput tests
have demonstrated almost linear scalability of Lustre except for when
WRITING files that exceed 128MB in size.  When multiple clients create/write
files larger than 128MB, Lustre throughput levels up to approximately
~1GB/s. This behavior has been observed with almost all tested block size
ranges except for 4KB.  I don't have any explanation as to why Lustre
performs poorly when writing large files.

Has anyoned experienced this behaviour?  Any comments on our findings?

Thanks,
-J