[Lustre-discuss] ext3 and over 8Tb OSTs

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Mar 5 02:00:15 PST 2010

On 2010-03-04, at 16:08, syed haider wrote:
> Bug 17569 states that ldiskfs.ko built on releases > 1.8.1 will not
> allow 8tb OSTs to be mounted because there may be possible
> corruption. This bug was fixed by adding a "force_over_8tb" option.
> Is anyone running > 8tb OSTs on ext3 out there? Any problems? What
> type of corruption are they talking about?

You misread the announcement.  You need to have the ext4-based ldiskfs
in order to use > 8TB OSTs.  This one does not have the
"force_over_8tb" option (but instead a "force_over_16tb" option).

I wonder if it makes sense to just disable this option for the ext3-
based ldiskfs and require that anyone using > 8TB OSTs use the ext4-
based ldiskfs?  That would avoid any confusion/problems as above.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.