[Lustre-discuss] Problems with fstab entry on sles11

Dardo D Kleiner - CONTRACTOR dkleiner at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon May 3 07:55:12 PDT 2010

On 5/3/10 10:43 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>> Perhaps other SLES users here can post ideas on how they handle this
>> situation.  I guess for those using heartbeat, this is a non-issue as
>> heartbeat handles the mounting and heartbeat is started after
>> networking.
>
> So, as a SLES user, let me offer my $0.02.
>
> _netdev still works in the sense that it prevents the mount command from
> mounting those filesystems at the normal time.  But there's nothing that
> comes around and mounts those after the network is up (which drove me
> nuts for a while, because the documentation hasn't changed).
>
> As far as I can tell, your only option is to create a (presumably simple)
> script that goes and mounts your Lustre filesystem after the network is
> up.  Our script is more complicated because it has to wait until the
> Infiniband network is up and the storage is available.

Another alternative is to automount on demand (man 5 autofs), though there
are some issues with that (e.g. sometimes /etc/mtab is updated so autofs
thinks its mounted but it really isn't).  Clean shutdown is also somewhat
of a problem, especially with IB (e.g. openibd won't unload if its in use
by Lustre).