[Lustre-discuss] What do you think of this idea?

David Noriega tsk133 at my.utsa.edu
Wed May 19 10:56:49 PDT 2010

The idea is to have an extra place to backup our file server. To run
incremental backups on the weekends. Have a script to check if the
workstations are online first. Eventually the main fileserver will be
Lustre, but this would be a duplicate of the fileserver. So our services
would not be depending on this.

As it stands, the machines are hardly used, and a modified kernel is fine.
On the occasion they are used, students tend to just check email, maybe
matlab, but more often then not when using matlab its remotely off of a
compute server.

Or would it be better to use some other filesystem. What about what comes
with Redhat/CentOS in their cluster packages?

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Brian J. Murrell <Brian.Murrell at oracle.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 12:31 -0500, David Noriega wrote:
> >
> > We have 7 workstations, and the idea was to put into them 3 2TB
> > drives, for a total of 42TB, and set them up as object servers, and
> > another workstation as a meta data server.
>
> And what are the clients of this fileystem?  So far you have only
> specified the servers.  What machines will actually use this filesystem?
>
> > How feasible is this idea?
>
> Well, technically it's possible as long as you can run a Lustre patched
> kernel on those workstations (which might contradict the requirements of
> the workstation users).
>
> > And I know of the downfalls, what if a student reboots a machine, etc,
> > but baring those events, would this setup work?
>
> What about the performance impact of Lustre on those students'
> workstations?  Are they going to be happy sharing the resources of their
> workstations with Lustre object storage services?
>
> Generally we advise against doing anything on a Lustre server except run
> Lustre.
>
> b.

Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we
didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't
know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They
expect results. -Ray Ghostbusters