[Lustre-discuss] What do you think of this idea?

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at oracle.com
Wed May 19 10:47:15 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 12:31 -0500, David Noriega wrote:

> We have 7 workstations, and the idea was to put into them 3 2TB
> drives, for a total of 42TB, and set them up as object servers, and
> another workstation as a meta data server.

And what are the clients of this fileystem?  So far you have only
specified the servers.  What machines will actually use this filesystem?

> How feasible is this idea?

Well, technically it's possible as long as you can run a Lustre patched
kernel on those workstations (which might contradict the requirements of
the workstation users).

> And I know of the downfalls, what if a student reboots a machine, etc,
> but baring those events, would this setup work?

What about the performance impact of Lustre on those students'
workstations?  Are they going to be happy sharing the resources of their
workstations with Lustre object storage services?

Generally we advise against doing anything on a Lustre server except run
Lustre.

b.