[Lustre-discuss] Future of lustre 1.8.3+(Debian and SLES/RH kernels)

Ramiro Alba Queipo raq at cttc.upc.edu
Fri May 21 01:00:04 PDT 2010

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 14:45 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> > On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 10:16 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >> The SLES11 kernel is at 2.6.27 so it could be usable for this.
> >> Also, I
> >
> > Ok, I am getting
> > http://downloads.lustre.org/public/kernels/sles11/linux-2.6.27.39-0.3.1.tar.bz2
> >
> > but, please. Where can I get a suitable config file to apply both for
> > servers and clients?
>
> The config files are in the Lustre source tree in lustre/
> kernel_patches/kernel_configs/

Of course. I did not remember. Anyway, I downloaded:
kernel-default-base-2.6.27.39-0.3_lustre.1.8.3.x86_64.rpm
and extracted:

config-2.6.27.39-0.3_lustre.1.8.3-default

which I modified at:
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-0.3_lustre.1.8.3-default"
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-0.3.1-lustre.1.8.3"
because debian 'make-kpkg' command refused to create the package.

By the way. I've just compared that config file with the one in lustre
source tree:
kernel-2.6.27-2.6-sles11-x86_64.config
and I found a difference:
CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_BAY=y
NOT the one in rpm package. I do not think this is meaningful, do I?

Anyway, in future, which is the best config file to get from?

> You can just use the .config file from your client kernel (ie
> patchless) since you don't need the patched server kernel on the
> clients.
>
> >> thought that there were Debian packages for Lustre, why not use
> >> those?
> >
> > Yes. I used them at the beginning, but after lustre 1.8.0.1 vanilla
> > servers are not any more supported to be used as servers and I started
> > to use RH5 kernels with lustre-1.8.1.1, both for clients and servers.
>
> That's too bad that the Debiana maintainers have stopped making
> updates. Doubly so because we worked to add the fixes needed to build
> on Debian into the Lustre sources, so it is possible to do "make debs"
> to get Debian packages using all of the standard Debian packaging tools.

No. They did not. Debian Squeeze (testing) is offering lustre-1.8.2, but
ONLY for clients and vanilla kernels 2.6.26 and 2.6.27. I my case I
intend to build the whole cluster (both servers and clients) with Ubuntu
10.04, so, though it is not a requirement, it is more practical, I
think, to use an only kernel for every node.
I started, when using lustre 1.6 series using vanilla kernel 2.6.22-14,
but then, at lustre-1.8.1 vanilla kernels are not supported any more to
be used in servers. So I started using RH5 kernels with Ubuntu 8.04
using udev-117 and lustre 1.8.1.1. I make some test and everything
seemed to be fine.
Now I intend to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 using udev-151, and I found the
problem with udev and kernel versions under 2.6.27, but using SLES11
kernel boots and seems to work (not tested lustre yet)

Sometimes I can not avoid to think in using RH5 or SLES11 on our cluster
to simplify problems, but I am too used to Debian/Ubuntu and I loved
them. So I'd like to know if:

- Anyone have been had a similar experience?
- Any comments about the approach I am using to start lustre on Ubuntu?