[Lustre-discuss] Future of lustre 1.8.3+

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at oracle.com
Thu May 20 14:11:29 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 14:45 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On 2010-05-20, at 11:33, Ramiro Alba Queipo <raq at cttc.upc.edu> wrote:
> > Yes. I used them at the beginning, but after lustre 1.8.0.1 vanilla
> > servers are not any more supported to be used as servers and I started
> > to use RH5 kernels with lustre-1.8.1.1, both for clients and servers.
>
> That's too bad that the Debiana maintainers have stopped making
> updates.

I don't know that they did.  I have to admit that I don't read these too
closely, but it seems that 1.8.3 did get accepted into some Debian
release (process):

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-lustre-maintainers/2010-May/000317.html

Maybe, being unfamiliar with the Debian processes, I am
mis-understanding what that message is saying.  There were others at the
same time.  The archive for May is at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-lustre-maintainers/2010-May/thread.html

> Doubly so because we worked to add the fixes needed to build
> on Debian into the Lustre sources, so it is possible to do "make debs"
> to get Debian packages using all of the standard Debian packaging tools.

I could be wrong (as I have not inspected the actual Debian packages
lately) but I don't think they are using our work there (yet?)
unfortunately.  :-(

I would hope that the diff between us and them would be small, and if
not that they would report bugs and submit patches.  But perhaps also,
part of the problem is that our ability to focus time and effort on that
stuff is limited by the allocation of resources to supported aspects of
the project.  i.e. we can only provide "best effort" time and effort.

Cheers,
b.