[Lustre-discuss] How to eliminate an OST from an OSS server

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at oracle.com
Wed May 26 04:58:40 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 09:43 +0300, Mohamed Adel wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I have a pre-installed lustre file-system with two MDSs and two OSSs. Each OSS has 6 arrays of disks. In OSS01, one of the arrays is not working properly due to a physical error in one of the disks of the array. I wanted to eliminate this array from OSS01. Simply I restarted MDSs and the OSSs and didn't mount that array. Then I mounted the file-system on the clients. The clients didn't produce any error after mounting but the file-system is not accessible; i.e. I can't even issue an "ls" command to view the contents of the file-system. I need to eliminate that corrupted array to be able to use the file-system but don't know how.

You likely want to deactivate the OST on the MDT and possibly on the
clients also, depending on your goals.

> Could anyone help me with that or just guide me what should I read to learn how to fix this issue.

Have you checked the operations manual at
http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php/Lustre_Documentation?

Maybe you did but you just didn't realize "deactivate" was the operation
you were looking to perform.

Cheers,
b.