[Lustre-discuss] What would happen if

Scott scott at tradeworx.com
Wed May 26 06:26:47 PDT 2010

Hi,

My Lustre system has 7 OSTs on 3 OSSs.   2 of the OSTs have less then 200Gb free while the other 5
have 3+ TB free.

I am not using striping.  Question, when creating a new file does Lustre try to write to the OST
with the most free space?  If not, how does it choose which OST to write to?

Second question, if for whatever reason it picks the OST with 200Gb free and i was writing a file
that would be 500Gb at finish, what would happen when that particular OST ran out of space?  Would
it leave the file as incomplete and show no free space?

Thanks, trying to debug an odd problem.