[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and Automount

David Simas dgs at slac.stanford.edu
Thu May 27 12:08:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:50:15PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> There have been some reports of problems with automount and Lustre
> that have never been tracked down.  If someone with automount
> experience and config, and time to track this down could investigate
> I'm sure we could work it out.

The autofs that comes with RHEL5 won't mount Lustre.  We got
it working with autofs-5.0.3-36, from some version of Fedora.
Later versions of autofs should also work.  The fix to autofs
is almost trivial.  A function scans the mount command to
make sure it contains just "legal" characters.  To get Lustre
to automount, it needs "@" in it's list of such.

We did find that the automounter sometimes failed to remove
the Lustre record from /etc/mtab on unmounting the file system.
That would cause subsequent remounts to fail.  Another easy
fix: link /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts.

David S.