[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and Automount

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Thu May 27 12:30:50 PDT 2010

On Thursday 27 May 2010, David Simas wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:50:15PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > There have been some reports of problems with automount and Lustre
> > that have never been tracked down.  If someone with automount
> > experience and config, and time to track this down could investigate
> > I'm sure we could work it out.
>
> The autofs that comes with RHEL5 won't mount Lustre.  We got
> it working with autofs-5.0.3-36, from some version of Fedora.
> Later versions of autofs should also work.  The fix to autofs
> is almost trivial.  A function scans the mount command to
> make sure it contains just "legal" characters.  To get Lustre
> to automount, it needs "@" in it's list of such.

I doubt that you cannot get it working. At my previous job we used NIS based
automounter for almost everything including Lustre. All based on Debian, so
I'm not absolutely sure about RedHat. However, it already did work with the
very old Debian Sarge. The simple trick we had to do was to escape the "@", so
to use "\@".

> We did find that the automounter sometimes failed to remove
> the Lustre record from /etc/mtab on unmounting the file system.
> That would cause subsequent remounts to fail.  Another easy
> fix: link /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts.

That also happens sometimes without automounter.

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert