[Lustre-discuss] Setting up quotas

Johann Lombardi johann.lombardi at oracle.com
Tue Oct 5 15:35:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 12:31:15PM -0500, David Noriega wrote:
> Can I setup quotas after lustre is active? Or does that require taking
> everything offline? Or could I just run "lfs quota on" and then start
> setting quotas for every user?

You can turn quotas on with "lfs quotacheck -ug /path/to/lustre/fs" (requires to be root) while the filesystem is up. However, users should not modify the filesystem during the quotacheck operation otherwise space accounting might be incorrect.

> Will running this command on one client then effect all of them?

Yes, quotas will be enabled globally.

The lustre manual has a section dedicated to quotas:
http://wiki.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual18_HTML/ConfiguringQuotas.html

Cheers,
Johann