[Lustre-discuss] Announce the establishment of Open Scalable File Systems, Inc. (OpenSFS)

Norman Morse normanrmorse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 04:58:58 PDT 2010

Dear Lustre Community Member:

It is with great pleasure that I announce the establishment of Open Scalable
File Systems, Inc. (OpenSFS), a non-profit mutual benefit corporation
focused on the advancement and promotion of scalable, open-source file
systems for the high performance computing (HPC) and data intensive
computing community.  OpenSFS will focus initially on requirements and
priorities supporting Lustre™ file system stabilization and future
development on the Linux operating system.

Established with the strategic support and multi-million dollar membership
funding from the organization's founding members - Cray Inc., DataDirect
Networks Inc. (DDN), Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) and Oak
Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), OpenSFS will provide a collaborative
environment in which parallel file system requirements can be
aggregated, distilled, and prioritized to coordinate development activities
targeted at meeting the needs of the HPC community.

Guided by input from the entire Lustre™ community, OpenSFS participants will
formalize requirements for Lustre™ advancement (education, community
outreach, new features, bug fixes, etc.) and will establish priorities for
those requirements within OpenSFS to guide awarding contracts to Lustre™
developers to address those requirements.  The contracts will be funded
using OpenSFS participant dues.

Following the example of successful open-source collaborative organizations
that have preceded it - OpenSFS aims to help establish the open source file
systems it promotes and contributes to as industry-wide open standards by
driving education, community outreach, stability, usability and
forward-feature development.

At its inception, OpenSFS is backed with funding levels and an
organizational structure that will allow an immediate positive impact for
the Lustre™ community.  We are now soliciting participation to begin the
requirements gathering and prioritization process.  We would like your
input, contribution, and ongoing participation in OpenSFS and our various
working groups to ensure that community interests are best represented.

You can join the OpenSFS community by visiting us at
openSFS.org<http://opensfs.org/>.
 Here you will find our bylaws, participation terms, forms and working group
details as they become established (as some of the working groups are still
under construction, this is a good time to join and influence development).
An overview summary of the OpenSFS organization, objectives and structure
can also be found on our web site.

We will host an OpenSFS Information Session in parallel with SC10 in New
Orleans currently scheduled for 2:30-4:00pm on Tuesday November 16th.  We
will give a short overview of OpenSFS and answer questions regarding the
organization as well as provide a chance for everyone to meet and interact
with other Lustre™ community members.  Details regarding meeting location
will be posted on our web site before SC10.

I and all the OpenSFS founding members invite you to join us in improving
existing and creating new open source file systems to support the HPC
environment.  Together, we can truly make a difference.

With Best Regards,

Norm Morse

President and CEO, OpenSFS
*norman.morse at OpenSFS.org*