[Lustre-discuss] system disk with external journals for OSTs formatted

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Wed Oct 27 05:46:41 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-27, at 15:02, Alexander Bugl wrote:
>> Trying to run e2fsck -n yields:
>
> [root at soss10 ~]# e2fsck -fn /dev/md14
> e2fsck 1.41.10.sun2 (24-Feb-2010)
> e2fsck: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
> Error writing block 1 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in
> short write).  Ignore error? no
> Error writing block 2 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in
> short write).  Ignore error? no
> Error writing block 3 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in
> short write).  Ignore error? no
> [... and all integers between]
> Error writing block 463 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in
> short write).  Ignore error? no
> Error writing block 464 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in
> short write).  Ignore error? no

I don't know what these errors are, possibly trying to write into the broken journal device?  The rest of the fileystem errors are very minor.  You should probably delete the journal device via "tune2fs -O ^has_journal", run a full "e2fsck -f" and then recreate the journal with "tune2fs -j size=400".

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.