[Lustre-discuss] system disk with external journals for OSTs formatted

Daniel Kobras kobras at linux.de
Wed Oct 27 06:45:03 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 08:46:41PM +0800, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> I don't know what these errors are, possibly trying to write into the broken
> journal device?  The rest of the fileystem errors are very minor.  You should
> probably delete the journal device via "tune2fs -O ^has_journal", run a full
> "e2fsck -f" and then recreate the journal with "tune2fs -j size=400".

On a filesystem with errors, you'll have to use "tune2fs -f -O ^has_journal" to
force removal of the journal. At least that's what the man page says. When I
once had to pull such a stunt a while ago, tune2fs refused to remove the
journal even when given the force flag, though. It might work as documented
now. Otherwise, my workaround was to retrieve the journal UUID from the
main filesystem with tune2fs -l, then create a new external journal with
this UUID (mke2fs -O journal_dev -U <UUID> ...). At this point I was able to
run e2fsck on the main filesystem to get back to a clean state. Finally, I
could remove and add back the journal with normal tune2fs calls to get it
properly linked back to the filesystem.

Regards,

Daniel.