[Lustre-discuss] OSS1 write performance impacted by OSS3 writes?!

James Robnett jrobnett at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:42:50 PDT 2010

> Is the 6Gb/s per card or total? Cisco's documentation indicates it's per
> slot (card?) but I'm not getting 12 Gb/s total.

  It's 6gbit per line card.  Typically the 48 port line cards group ports
into 6 groups of 8 ports.  Each group of 8 ports shares a 1gbit channel
to the backplane.

 Try putting two OSSes on one line card and two on another and seperate the
OSSes such that one is in first 8 ports and one is in the last 8.  Since
it's full duplex there shouldn't be too much problem putting clients in the
same group as the OSSes unless you do reads and writes in parallel at
which point they can interfere with each other.

  Ultimately that's not a good switch for performance purposes due to the
backplane limitations.