[Lustre-discuss] Virtual machines

Florian Feldhaus florian.feldhaus at udo.edu
Wed Sep 8 05:54:48 PDT 2010

    Am 08.09.10 14:09, schrieb Brian J. Murrell:
 > On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 05:50 -0500, Brian O'Connor wrote:
 >> what about in a VM over Infiniband?
 > I don't know of any VMs which expose the hosts Infiniband hardware for
 > the VM to use directly.  Xen might.  libvirt/kvm might.  But those are
 > just WAGs.
 >
 > b.
At the last International Supercomputing Conference Mellanox claimed to
have an Infiniband solution ready to support Infiniband in Virtual
Machines with nearly no performance impact. It is based on the SR-IOV
Technologie. Some Information can be found in their blog at:
http://www.mellanox.com/blog/2009/04/io-virtualization/

If someone already uses this technology it would be nice to get some
feedback how well it is working.

Cheers,
Florian Feldhaus

   Florian Feldhaus          | voice:  +49-231-755 5324
   ITMC/LS Service Computing | fax:    +49-231-755 2731
   TU Dortmund               | office: GB 5, 347
   D-44227 Dortmund          | email:  florian.feldhaus at tu-dortmund.de
   Germany                   | http://www.itmc.tu-dortmund.de/