[Lustre-discuss] ll_glimpse_size() causing intermittent EIO

Fraser McCrossan fm at sharcnet.ca
Thu Sep 16 11:43:10 PDT 2010

  We're seeing a problem recently with a 1.8.4 server and both 1.8.2 and
1.8.4 clients. We get intermittent log entries on the client like this:

LustreError: 32493:0:(file.c:995:ll_glimpse_size()) obd_enqueue returned
rc -5, returning -EIO

Occasionally we get "rc -4" instead of -5. The client code fails with an
I/O error, as you'd expect. We can't find matching log entries on the
server.

Trying the same file on the same or different clients again a few
minutes later works fine. We're seeing this on lots of different clients
but intermittently and fairly rarely, but it obviously it tends to crash
user jobs. Any ideas what could be causing it?

Fraser McCrossan              | mail  fm at sharcnet.ca
Systems Administrator         | phone (519)661-2111 x80360
SHARCNET                      | MSN   fm at sharcnet.ca
University of Western Ontario |