[Lustre-discuss] Multi-Role/Tasking MDS/OSS Hosts

Brian J. Murrell brian.murrell at oracle.com
Fri Sep 17 12:19:26 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 11:10 -0800, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
> Thanks very much!

NP.

> Yes, but... how, then, am I to view SAN storage devices?

I'm not sure.  Whatever you can do to present the devices to Linux as
block devices.  Lustre OSTs and MDTs are Linux block devices.

> they're already in RAID-6 arrays, with PVs, VGs, and LVs,

An (LVM if that's what you are referring to) is a block device and can
be used as an OST or MDT.

> Am I correct in thinking that these SAN storage devices would be networked
> to one-or-more OSSes?

They need to make themselves available as block device(s).

> Did I misunderstand that RHEL5 sports Lustre-support already in the kernel?

Yes, I'm afraid you did.  You will need either one of our pre-built (we
currently build for RHEL5, OEL5, SLES10 and SLES11) kernels or patch
your own kernel with the patches.

b.