[Lustre-discuss] How do you monitor your lustre?

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 30 13:08:55 PDT 2010

On the lustre-discuss subject of "is LMT moribund":

LMT2 definitely had a burst of activity a few years ago and then dropped
off dramatically as the original developers, some of whom were "borrowed"
from another group, moved on to other things.  I've been maintaining it
to a degree in my spare time, but I acknowledge that support has been
somewhat lacking.

A couple of months ago, I began a serious attempt to address some of the
issues that come up repeatedly on the lmt-discuss mailing list.  This turned
into a rewrite of the back end (cerebro and mysql interface) and ltop utility.
The new code will appear in lmt3, to be released sometime in October.

Highlights of lmt3:
* New ltop that works directly with cerebro and has an expanded display.
* Auto-configuration of mysql database (lustre config is determied on the fly)
* Improved error handling and logging (configurable)
* New config file
* Code improvements for maintainability

Since ltop is now written in C/curses and talks directly to cerebro,
the mysql database for storing historical data and the lwatch java client,
which can graph historical data, are optional.

So in summary, LMT was never abandoned, and although support has been
fairly thin and the code somewhat fragile, there are good prospects for
that improving in the future.

LMT Google code page: http://code.google.com/p/lmt/

Jim Garlick
LLNL