[Lustre-discuss] e2fsck and related errors during recovering

Werner Dilling dilling at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Apr 6 04:26:04 PDT 2011

Hello,
after a crash of our lustre system (1.6.4) we have problems repairing
the filesystem. Running the 1.6.4 e2fsck failed on the mds filesystem
so we tried with the latest 1.8 version which succeeded. But trying to
mount mds as ldiskfs filesystem failed with the standard error
message: bad superblock on ....
We tried to get more info and the file command
file -s -L /dev/.... produced "ext2 filesystem" instead of ext3
filesystem which we got from all ost-filesystems.
We were able to produce the mds-database which is needed to get info
for lfs fsck. But using this database to create the ost databases
failed with the error message: error getting mds_hdr (large number:8)
in /tmp/msdb: Cannot allocate memory ..
So I assume the msdb is in bad shape and my question is how we can
proceed. I assume we have to create a correct version of the
mds-filesystem and how to do this is unknown. Any help and info is
appreciated.

Thanks
w.dilling