[Lustre-discuss] Renaming an existing lustre filesystem

James Robnett jrobnett at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Feb 14 07:34:14 PST 2011

    I re-read the 1.8 manual and man8 of tunefs and I don't feel any
more confident in the exact syntax than I did Friday.   There's some
1.4 to 1.6 migration examples and a renaming snapshot example but
they differ in ways that concern me.

In fact my initial attempt

    I'm fairly certain with a combined MDT/MGS the command
tunefs.lustre --writeconf --fsname={name} /dev/{dev}

is incorrect as it generated MGS errors, resubmitting the command
with --fsname={origname} allowed the MDT to be mounted but now
MGS complains when the OST's try to mount that it doesn't know about
them.

   I assume the proper sequence (with everything unmounted) is

   tunefs.lustre --writeconf --mgs --fsname="foobar" /dev/XXX
on the MDT/MGS

   and for each OST

  tunefs.lustre --writeconf --mgsnode={MGS_IP_ADDR}@tcp0
--fsname="foobar" /dev/XXX

   but I'm leary of mucking things up further.

   BTW,  this is my test lustre install not the production one so it's
not exactly the end of the world if it's destroyed though there is some
benchmark data on it I'd like to recover so I'd prefer not.

James