[Lustre-discuss] Kernel Panic error after lustre 2.0 installation

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Thu Feb 17 13:46:06 PST 2011

Yep.  All you have to do is rebuild the driver for the Lustre kernel.

First, bring the system back up with the non-Lustre kernel.

See the bottom of the readme:

    # cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/arcmsr
    (suppose /usr/src/linux is the soft-link for
/usr/src/kernel/2.6.23.1-42.fc8-i386)
    # make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build CONFIG_SCSI_ARCMSR=m
SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
    # insmod arcmsr.ko

Except instead of "uname -r" substitute the lustre kernel's 'uname -r',
as you want to build for the Lustre kernel.  Be sure you have the Lustre
kernel-devel RPM installed.

Note that the "insmod" will not work (you already have it for the
running kernel, and the one you built for the Lustre kernel will not
work).  You will need to rebuild the initrd for the Lustre kernel (see
the other instructions in the readme, using the Lustre kernel).

Kevin