[Lustre-discuss] trying to port 1.8.5 to RH6 I'm facing Kernel panics due to an error in the handling of page->private

Hebenstreit, Michael michael.hebenstreit at intel.com
Fri Feb 18 08:03:39 PST 2011

If I understand everything correctly page->private should contain either 0 or a pointer to kernel space. For reasons I can not currently comprehend sometimes the value is set to 2. llap_cast_private() then tries to access page->private->llap_magic, and naturally this leads to NULL pointer dereference

this problem seems to creep up only during parallel reads/writes

any ideas?
anyone doing a RH6 port of the 1.8 branch (and no, 2.1 won't help me, my backends are 1.7 and can not be changed at this time)?

thanks
Michael

Michael Hebenstreit                 Senior Cluster Architect
Intel Corporation                   Software and Services Group/HTE
2800 N Center Dr, DP3-307           Tel.:   +1 253 371 3144
WA 98327, DuPont
UNITED STATES                       E-mail: michael.hebenstreit at intel.com