[Lustre-discuss] clients gets EINTR from time to time

Brian J. Murrell brian at whamcloud.com
Thu Feb 24 04:17:33 PST 2011

On 11-02-24 05:50 AM, Francois Chassaing wrote:
> Dear list members,

Hi,

> We are experiencing issues with an application that gets a EINTR when trying to write to a file.

If I understand that errno properly, that is to be expected.

> Those errors happens "randomly" on both clients,

Well, not "randomly".  It happens when a signal arrives.

> So my app treats the error as if the file was full

This is wrong.  Your app is broken and needs to be fixed.

> I've tryed to change the IB switch, so it is most probably not coming from here (while it is a "cheap" switch). I've also tried to change the client mount options, changed the stripping policy from -1 to 1, but it did not change anything neither.

None of this is going to resolve your problem.  Yours is a problem of
application programming defect, not a system fault.

> I would really appreciate pointers or suggestions to debug this issue.

Maybe some understanding of how signals can affect system calls.  A
quick google found this for me:

http://www.gnu.org/s/libc/manual/html_node/Interrupted-Primitives.html#Interrupted-Primitives

Probably there is more detailed text out there to help you and your
application programmer to handle this application programming fault
better.  But alas, it is an application programming problem and not a
Lustre filesystem or equipment problem.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell