[Lustre-discuss] llverfs outcome

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Thu Jan 27 11:06:36 PST 2011

On 2011-01-27, at 04:56, Thomas Roth wrote:
> I have run llverfs (lustre-utils 1.8.4) on an OST partition as "llverfs
> -w -v /srv/OST0002".
> That went smoothly until all 9759209724 kB were written, terminating with:
>
> write File name: /srv/OST0002/dir00072/file022
> write complete
>
> llverfs: writing /srv/OST0002/llverfs.filecount failed :No space left on
> device
>
> My question: What should be the result of llverfs? I haven't found any
> documentation on this tool, so I can just suspect that this was a
> successful run?

It shouldn't be terminating at this point, but I suspect a bug in llverfs and not in the filesystem.  I _thought_ there was an llverfs(8) man page, but it turns out there is only an old llverfs.txt file.

> (llverdev terminates with 'write complete' also, no errors indicated -
> good?)

You can restart llverfs with the "-r" option so that it does the read tests to verify the data, and the "-t" option is needed to specify the timestamp used for the writes (so that it can distinguish stale data written from two different tests).  In hindsight, it probably makes sense from a usability POV to allow automatically detecting the timestamp value from the first file read, if unspecified, and then use that for the rest of the test.

Principal Engineer
Whamcloud, Inc.