[Lustre-discuss] multipathd or sun rdac driver?

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Wed Jul 20 14:54:25 PDT 2011

Yes, the controllers are active/passive, so while both controllers
export each LUN,
only the LUN on the active controller can be used.  In the event of a
path or controller
failure, RDAC will migrate the lun so that it is active on the working
controller/path.

Seeing those problems either indicates that your multipath driver
doesn't properly
support asynchronous multipath, or there is a configuration issue.  I
believe some
firmware versions allow you to have automatic failover, so the LUN is
migrated on
access, which was meant to work around multipath drivers that didn't
migrate the
LUN, but will perform very poorly if more than one path is used.

Note that it is also possible to have multiple paths to each controller,
which can also
be load balanced or zoned (more useful for eg the ST6780).

[If you want to experience pain, access a LUN from two hosts at the same
time,
which each host connected to a different controller.  It will also work,
but be slow,
kindof like reading two CDs at the same time in a CD changer.]

Kevin