[Lustre-discuss] multipathd or sun rdac driver?

David Noriega tsk133 at my.utsa.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:41:52 PDT 2011

They are 2540 and I'm running EL5(centos).

Well the thought came around since I had to rebuild a node after a
hardware problem. So I went ahead and gave it a shot. I think I posted
about this problem before somewhere in the mailing list about getting
stray I/O errors which were for /dev/sdX devices that were the other
path to the same device(Well thats the idea we came to). Well after
installing the Sun RDAC module and disabling multipathd, I can happily
say those messages are gone, so I suppose Sun's module is able to talk
to the disk array in a better manner then multipathd. Though I haven't
failed back the lustre ost's to this particular node just yet(will
wait till the weekend). I'll post again if anything goes wrong, but I
think going with this RDAC module might be better.

ps: One thing that has nagged me since Lustre was installed and setup
by a vendor, was the disk arrays were never setup with initiators or
hosts in the configuration(Using CAM). We have another similar disk
array(6140) we setup for another filesystem and I know
initiators/hosts were setup on the array. I can't say that this has
caused any problems, but its something in the back of my mind.

Thanks,
David

--
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!