[Lustre-discuss] Enabling mds failover after filesystem creation

Cliff White cliffw at whamcloud.com
Tue Jun 14 12:12:23 PDT 2011

It depends - are you using a combined MGS/MDS?
If so, you will have to update the mgsnid on all servers to reflect the
failover node,
plus change the client mount string to show the failover node.
otherwise, it's the same procedure as with an OST.
cliffw

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Jeff Johnson <
jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am attempting to add mds failover operation to an existing v1.8.4
> filesystem. I have heartbeat/stonith configured on the mds nodes. What
> is unclear is what to change in the lustre parameters. I have read over
> the 1.8.x and 2.0 manuals and they are unclear as exactly how to enable
> failover mds operation on an existing filesystem.
>
> Do I simply run the following on the primary mds node and specify the
> NID of the secondary mds node?
>
> tunefs.lustre --param="failover.node=10.0.1.3 at o2ib" /dev/<mdt device>
>
> where: 10.0.1.2=primary mds, 10.0.1.3=secondary mds
>
> All of the examples for enabling failover via tunefs.lustre are for OSTs
> and I want to be sure that there isn't a different procedure for the MDS
> since it can only be active/passive.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Jeff

cliffw