[Lustre-discuss] quota_chk_acq_common()

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Fri Jun 17 09:26:05 PDT 2011

We enabled quotas on two new file systems and are now seeing lots of
the following in our logs...

Lustre: 31473:0:(quota_interface.c:460:quota_chk_acq_common()) still
haven't
managed to acquire quota space from the quota master after 10 retries
(err=0,
rc=0): 2 Time(s)
Looking at the code, it is clearly going through the loop at least 10
times however rc is always zero when the message is printed so the
acquire() call is succeeding, apparently, on the 10th try.   However,
if I'm reading the code correctly, for that to happen, the thread has
already waited at least 45s (cumulatively) which is a long time to
us.   It seems like such a long wait would cause other complaints but
we aren't seeing anything obvious.
Is this normal?    Are others seeing the same messages?  Is there some
tuning we should be doing.
Note that one of the file systems is 1.8.5 while the other is 2.0.
Thx,
Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center