[Lustre-discuss] Renaming an existing lustre filesystem

James Robnett jrobnett at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 1 13:03:32 PST 2011

   I asked a while back about renaming a lustre instance.

   After a variety of failed attempts I finally just reverted
everything.  I'd still like to figure out the exact process
(or if it's trivially possible) for renaming a lustre instance.

   It doesn't appear to be as simple as this on the MDS
tunefs.lustre --writeconf --mgs --mdt --fsname="foobar" /dev/XXX

   and on the OSS
  tunefs.lustre --writeconf --mgsnode={MGS_IP_ADDR}@tcp0
--fsname="foobar" /dev/XXX

   We have two distinct lustre installs with the name "lustre" and
I'd like to rename the test one to simplify parsing of
/proc/fs/lustre/llite/XXXX on the clients.

   Some docs for 1.4 to 1.6 migration reference a --reformat option
but that has ugly connotations and it's not documented in the actual
tunefs.lustre man page, which itself claims won't reformat or destroy
data.

    If there's no non-destructive way to do it that's fine.  If there's
an incredibly simple way and I'm being an idiot my apologies (but
I'd still like to know).

James Robnett
NRAO/NM
ps: As mentioned in the original post
http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-discuss/2011-February/015076.html
this is a simple 1.8.5 install with a combined MGS/MDT.