[Lustre-discuss] Renaming an existing lustre filesystem

Wojciech Turek wjt27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 16:18:59 PST 2011

Hi James,

It is possible and I did it around 3 years ago on lustre 1.6 but I think it
still should work on 1.8

Stop Lustre file system
in order to change file system name run for each target:
tunefs.lustre --fsname=<fsname> --writeconf /dev/<block_device_name>
for each target do mount as ldiskfs file system. This need to be done on all
OSS's and on MDS
mount -t ldiskfs /dev/<device_name> /mnt/<target_mount_point>
Delete file /mnt/<target_mount_point>/last_rcvd   # back it up before
deleting just in case :)
umount all targets
Start filesystem using new name.

On 1 March 2011 21:03, James Robnett <jrobnett at aoc.nrao.edu> wrote:

>   I asked a while back about renaming a lustre instance.
>
>   After a variety of failed attempts I finally just reverted
> everything.  I'd still like to figure out the exact process
> (or if it's trivially possible) for renaming a lustre instance.
>
>   It doesn't appear to be as simple as this on the MDS
> tunefs.lustre --writeconf --mgs --mdt --fsname="foobar" /dev/XXX
>
>   and on the OSS
>   tunefs.lustre --writeconf --mgsnode={MGS_IP_ADDR}@tcp0
> --fsname="foobar" /dev/XXX
>
>    We have two distinct lustre installs with the name "lustre" and
> I'd like to rename the test one to simplify parsing of
> /proc/fs/lustre/llite/XXXX on the clients.
>
>   Some docs for 1.4 to 1.6 migration reference a --reformat option
> but that has ugly connotations and it's not documented in the actual
> tunefs.lustre man page, which itself claims won't reformat or destroy
> data.
>
>    If there's no non-destructive way to do it that's fine.  If there's
> an incredibly simple way and I'm being an idiot my apologies (but
> I'd still like to know).
>
> James Robnett
> NRAO/NM
> ps: As mentioned in the original post
> http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-discuss/2011-February/015076.html
> this is a simple 1.8.5 install with a combined MGS/MDT.

Wojciech Turek

Senior System Architect

High Performance Computing Service
University of Cambridge