[Lustre-discuss] Setting up quotas after the fact

Johann Lombardi johann at whamcloud.com
Thu Mar 10 10:15:01 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:51:44AM -0600, David Noriega wrote:
> I've been reading up on setting up quotas and looks like luster needs
> to be shut down for that as it scans the entire filesystem. The thing

The problem is that accounting can be wrong if files/blocks are allocated/freed during the scan.

> is we already have ours up and running and with quite a bit of data on
> it. So any idea on how to estimate how long it would be to setup
> quotas on lustre?

quotacheck has been greatly improved in 1.8.2 (see bugzilla ticket 19763 for more information). As an example, quotacheck takes approximately 5min to complete when run against a 3.4TB filesystem (2 OSTs) which is 87% full.

Cheers,
Johann