[Lustre-discuss] Optimal stratgy for OST distribution

Michael Barnes Michael.Barnes at jlab.org
Thu Mar 31 07:54:03 PDT 2011

Frank,

File striping and allocation are essentially randomized across OSTs
so from lustre's point of view there is no difference between between
a and b.  AFAIK, Lustre does try to do some balancing based on available
space and possibly other simple heuristics, but the ordering of the OSTs
does not affect this decision making process.

From a management point of view, b is much simpler to manage, and in the
case that you add more storage to your system, you just keep adding the
OSTs in sequence.

-mb