[Lustre-discuss] Landing and tracking tools improvements

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Mon May 23 17:28:57 PDT 2011

My biggest complaint is that discussion about an issue and its
associated patch(es) is scattered about in multiple locations instead of
located in a single bug like with bugzilla.

Here is a list of things I have had trouble with:

- jira: There is no clue in the jira ticket that the conversation is
taking place in a gerrit changeset. And unless I am a submitter or
review on the gerrit patch, I don't necessarily even get email about it.
  Maybe if I "star" a commit I get email.  But then I wind up with yet
more email spam... its just not easy to piece together what is going on
with an issue.  Whamcloud folks certainly aren't updating the jira
tickets every time there is patch discussion or change.  I don't blame
them; it is tedious and time consuming to make the same comments in
multiple places.

- gerrit: The Comments section in gerrit isn't particularly well
rendered either.  At the very least "expanded" view should probably be
the default option.

- gerrit: It is nice that comments can be placed in-line in the patch
files, but the interface is pretty sorely lacking.  I've had a number of
issues with that:
   - It is difficult to find all of the in-line comments
   - It is difficult to reply to the in-line comments.  If I do it
     in-line, it lets you "save" the comment, but that doesn't actually
     mean that anyone can SEE the comment.  You need to jump out to
     another web page to actually commit the comment or something.  Very
     confusing.
   - If you haven't already made yourself a "reviewer", man, good
     freakin' luck.

- gerrit: I want a ONE-PAGE unified diff.  A one-page side-by-side
wouldn't hurt either.  But I HATE that when I hit "Diff All Unified" my
web broswer goes out to lunch at 25 tabs are all openned in parallel.

- gerrit: The diff rendering may or may not be broken at times.  Prakash
pointed out to me that that there is a way to diff a patch set against
an earlier revision, and if you do that by accident it can be mighty
confusing.  So maybe I did that by accident...who knows.  Just plain
confusing.

- Despite requiring a valid jira ticket number in the comment of a git
commit before gerrit will accept it, there is no message in jira that a
new commit has arrived, or that an updated commit has been submitted to
an existing gerrit commit.

- jira: I never have any idea who I am talking to when I put a comment
in jira.  I can see the "Assignee" and "Reporter".  Everyone else is
just a secret "Watcher".  If I have an in-person conversation with a
developer, and I know he is keenly interested in the issue that I am
working on,  how do I know if he remembered to sign himself up for
watching the ticket?  What happens now is that I have to go out-of-band
to email and say "hey, are you watching LU-XX?".  With bugzilla and
other issues trackers I have used, the list of watchers is available to all.

- jira: The search tool is not as good as bugzilla.  The default search
suprisingly misses things that I KNOW are in a ticket many times.  And
when I need to do a more complex search, I need to learn an entire
search language specific to jira.  With bugzilla, I could do all of the
switches and such.  Bugzilla's search was noticeably better than jira's
in my opinion.

- jira: No way to CC people on an issue.  Again, I need to go
out-of-band and email folks that I know should be looking at an issue.
With bugzilla, I could simply CC them on the bug.

- gerrit: The search tool here is just TERRIBLE.  I should be able to
type any keyword that I know is in a patch's commit message and find it,
or type a function name that I know appears in a patch and get a list of
patches with that function name, etc.  But gerrit just flat out rejects
with an error message almost everything that I try to search for.
Awful, awful search tool.

- jira: I can't edit pretty much any field at the top of a bug, even on
issues that I have submitted myself.  If I learn later on that my
subject line makes no sense, or the platform is wrong, or anything else,
I can't fix it.  I could under bugzilla.

- Accounts/Passwords:  I have, what, four distinct accounts/passwords to
use all all of the whamcloud tools?  And the gerrit one is ESPECIALLY
annoying with its OpenID single-sign-on.  Being at a lab with a very
restrictive firewall and no OpenID service of its own makes this rather
difficult to use.  And this may be our firewall in action again, but I
seem to be logged out of gerrit every few minutes...maybe it is hours,
but it certainly seems like I need to re-login constantly.

- What is the deal with separate review.whamcloud.com and
git.whamcloud.com git repos?  Can't we just use the one review.whamcloud
one?  Jenkins seems to take me to gitweb all of the time, when really I
want to see the gerrit changeset...

- The comments from Jenkins/Build Master in jira REALLY need to stop.
It is just getting rediculous that I need to constantly shrink several
(sometimes several dozen) different comments from Build Master which
each have 25 lines exactly in common, and only 1 line that differs.
There is no need to list the names of files that have changed in the
patch in a comment from the build master.  All we need is a link to the
gerrit change set.  MAYBE we have a single short command from the
builder when the build is complete (or starts) with link to a page that
will summarize the entire state of the build and what did and did not
build correctly.

Finally, let me say "thanks" to all of the people putting in work to
improve the state of lustre's tools.  Having an automated review and
build systems is going to be very beneficial to Lustre, and I know that
it takes a lot of effort behind the scenes to make this all work.

So despite my list of complaints, I really do appreciate all of the hard
work you are doing!

Chris