[Lustre-discuss] Landing and tracking tools improvements

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Tue May 24 09:09:23 PDT 2011

I have to echo some of the comments of Chris Morrone.

The in-line comments in Gerrit do not appear in the "expanded" view, and need to be found individually in the various patches. Having 3 lines of context plus the comments is enough for most cases, and if not then a URL to the actual comment would be great.

While the linking from Gerrit back to Jira is good (due to embedded "LU-nnn" link in patch summary line) it is not so easy to find which changes in Gerrit are open from the Jira ticket. Sometimes there are multiple changes open for a single bug, either by accident (forgetting the Change-Id) or on purpose.  Having a single comment in Jira for each open change would be good.

I also agree that allowing an entire change to be visible on a single page would be helpful. I user to pre-load a bunch of patches from bugzilla into my browser before a flight, but with Gerrit that isn't really practical due to the number of tabs it would create.

That said, I like that Gerrit is a "gatekeeper" and ensures that what is inspected is also what is tested and landed, even if it means that patches sometimes have to go through multiple review cycles for trivial changes.

Being able to compare patches against previous versions in Gerrit speeds up the process of reviewing new versions of a change, but it is complicated if the "base" version of the patch is changed. At that point it will also show what gas changed between the base versions as if it were part of the patch, which is confusing. It would be better to limit the output to only the code that was modified in the two changes.

Cheers, Andreas