[Lustre-discuss] Brocade 1020 10G card on lustre server?

Sebastian Gutierrez gutseb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:10:53 PST 2011

I just looked at the general linux driver for the 1020. I am going to add a quick walkthrough with a example of the bna driver.  There is also a way to build a dkms rpm but I will not go into that today.  The directions can be modified for any driver you need to build.

The first step should be enough if you are going to install the driver over and over for every kernel that you install.  If you want the module to be auto built for every kernel installed, you can do the following.  This procedure is a bit more complex than usual since the brocade source is a bit non standard.  Some of these steps are not needed for other driver source that have a standard /usr/src/driver-x.x.x layout.

1. Install dkms gcc make kernel-devel
install bna_driver_linux-3.0.0.0-0.noarch.rpm

2. copy the /usr/src/bna dir to /usr/src/bna-3.0.0.0-0

3. create a /usr/src/bna-3.0.0.0-0/dkms.conf file with at least the following:
#####
PACKAGE_NAME=bna
PACKAGE_VERSION=3.0.0.0-0
BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]=bna
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[0]=/kernel/drivers/net/bna
AUTOINSTALL=YES

4. edit the /usr/src/bna-3.0.0.0-0/Makefile and change the line:
####
BNA_SRC := /usr/src/bna
BNA_SRC := /usr/src/bna-3.0.0.0-0

5. then add the module to the dkms build system
#####
dkms add -m bna -v 3.0.0.0-0
dkms build -m bna -v 3.0.0.0-0
dkms install -m bna -v 3.0.0.0-0

6. If you need to stop using dkms
#####
dkms uninstall
dkms remove

This will get the module to auto-build with each booted kernel.

Thanks
Sebastian