[Lustre-discuss] Quota behavior with inactive OSTs

Kevin Hildebrand kevin at umd.edu
Fri Apr 20 06:02:06 PDT 2012

Hello.  I've just noticed that OSTs marked as 'inactive' for some reason
don't count in the quota display.

I have a handful of OSTs temporarily marked inactive because they are
close to full, and as soon as they are marked inactive, 'lfs quota' stops
showing their contribution to the total.  Is this the correct behavior?
'lfs quota -v' shows each individual OST properly, but the totals are
wrong.
I don't actually have quotas set, but I use the quota facility to keep
track of how much space my users are using, and having the numbers
inconsistent like this is a pain.

We're running 1.8.7wc with kernel 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5_lustre.g9500ebf.

Thanks,
Kevin

All OSTs active:

# lfs quota -v -u kevin /export/lustre_1
Disk quotas for user kevin (uid 7260):
      Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
/export/lustre_1
                  428444       0       0       -    1683       0       0
-
lustre_1-MDT0000_UUID
                     748       -       0       -    1683       -       0
-
lustre_1-OST0000_UUID
                  399652       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0001_UUID
                    6908       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0002_UUID
                   21124       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0003_UUID
                       8       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0004_UUID
                       4       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0005_UUID
                       0       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0006_UUID
                       0       -       0       -       -       -       -
-

OSTs 0000-0003 inactive:

deepthought:~# lfs quota -v -u kevin /export/lustre_1
Disk quotas for user kevin (uid 7260):
      Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
/export/lustre_1
                     752       0       0       -    1683       0       0
-
lustre_1-MDT0000_UUID
                     748       -       0       -    1683       -       0
-
lustre_1-OST0000_UUID
                  399652       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0001_UUID
                    6908       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0002_UUID
                   21124       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0003_UUID
                       8       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0004_UUID
                       4       -       0       -       -       -       -
-
lustre_1-OST0005_UUID
-
lustre_1-OST0006_UUID