[Lustre-discuss] [wc-discuss] Re: Lustre and cross-platform portability

tao.peng at emc.com tao.peng at emc.com
Thu Apr 26 19:23:52 PDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

Thank you very much for bringing it up in LUG and getting all these positive support from community.

I created LU-1346 (http://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-1346) to track libcfs cleanup work.

> - there was no objection to converting the Lustre code from spaces
>   to tabs.  My proposal was that build/checkpatch.pl could require
>   tabs immediately, and new patches should be submitted with tabs
>   on all new/modified lines (and optionally all lines on small
>   functions to avoid messy formatting).  This will avoid issues
>   with current patches in flight, and also avoid "git annotate"
>   showing the jumbo replace-all-spaces-with-tabs patch for every
>   line in Lustre, and I think a good fraction of lines will be
>   updated in the next 9-12 months or more.  As we approach the
>   actual time for upstream kernel submission is close, then we can
>   make a final effort to clean up remaining lines in idle code
>   (which will also be unlikely to conflict with existing work).
While tabs are the main coding style difference between Lustre and kernel, there are a few minor change that is needed as well. I think we need to do following to match kernel coding style:
1. Lustre uses expandtab while kernel requires tabs
2. Lustre has vim syntax rules in most source files, which need to be removed
3. Lustre uses a slightly different comment style, which need to be changed to kernel style

I created LU-1347 (http://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-1347) to track the coding style changes.

> There is some hope that the kernel maintainers will not require
> all of the Lustre macros to be removed, but we can deal with this
> on a case-by-case basis.

IMO, we can divide macros to three groups (or more?):
1. Old kernel support macros, kernel maintainers are clear that they won't accept it.
2. For macros to mark out server code, kernel maintainers can accept it. But I think we need to make sure we don't do it too intrusive.
3. Lustre feature macros, we can convert them to Kconfig macros.

Cheers,
Tao