[Lustre-discuss] Spindles versus Space

Carlos Thomaz cthomaz at ddn.com
Tue Apr 24 19:31:09 PDT 2012

Brian,

The best case scenario is to build raid pools and have one single VD per pool (unless you have a lustre version that does not support >8 tb luns). Assumming 1.8.7 or later, don't waste your time splitting it into several vds, unless you have  reasons other than performance for that. Use 128kb chunk size.

For the MDTs I would suggest you to use RAID1 pools and stripe then using sw Linux raid manager, unless you have an EF3015 or alike dedicated to your mds sever(s).

If you need more help send us an email with more information about your storage (model, number of disks, etc) and servers, lustre version, etc.

Thanks
Carlos