[Lustre-discuss] Applications of Lustre - streaming?

Colin Faber colin_faber at xyratex.com
Fri Dec 7 09:31:50 PST 2012

Hi,

On 12/07/2012 10:26 AM, Jon Yeargers wrote:

> Can Lustre be used to store data like streaming audio / video?

Yes

> I’ve been scolded about considering it for DB storage but I’m looking
> at the relative merits of Lustre vs HDFS.

db reads/writes tends to lead to small I/O which lustre does not handle
as well as large I/O

> I’m moving to a clustered DB setup and wondering about Cassandra /
> Lustre vs Hadoop (IE HBase / HDFS). One offers flexibility in terms of
> mixing hardware components while the other is a ‘one stop shop’.

Honestly not sure, If you do perform some benchmarking between the two,
I, and I'm sure others would be greatly interested in seeing how the
various FS technologies stack up!

> Not trying to elicit a religious war – and yes, I’ve been reading as
> much as I can find about this. Just hoping for the opinion(s) of this
> side of the table.

I don't think you'll find that here =)

-cf