[Lustre-discuss] LNET over multiple NICs

Sébastien Buisson sebastien.buisson at bull.net
Tue Dec 18 04:48:54 PST 2012

Hi Alexander,

If I understand correctly, you have two subnets. 192.168.110.0/24 is for
tcp0, and 192.168.111.0/24 is for tcp1. So you have to configure two
LNET networks on clients as well as servers. Could you please give the
lnet configuration you have setup on your OSSes and clients?

What you have to understand is that multirail LNET provides static load
balancing over several LNET networks. Because LNET is not able to choose
between several available routes, you have to restrict each target to a
specific network. This is the purpose of the '--network' mkfs.lustre option.

In your case, you would format half of the OSTs of each OSS with
'--network=tcp0', and the other half with '--network=tcp1'. This would
make clients use alternatively tcp0 or tcp1, depending on the targets
they communicate with. So if you write or read on all the OSTs at the
same time, you would aggregate performance of your two 10GbE links, on
the clients and the servers.

And finally, we really do not care about LNET traffic with the MGS. This
is not what defines the networks that will be used for the communication
between the clients and the target servers.

HTH,
Sebastien.