[Lustre-discuss] LNET over multiple NICs

White, Cliff cliff.white at intel.com
Wed Dec 19 15:42:54 PST 2012

On 12/19/12 2:03 PM, "Alexander Oltu" <Alexander.Oltu at uni.no> wrote:

>> I have no experience in doing multirail on ethernet, sorry. The
>> principle is exactly the same as for Infiniband, but as Infiniband
>> interfaces cannot be bonded (except for IPoIB which is not of
>> interest when considering performance), I cannot tell.
>
>Looks like --network option is not helping. I have tried to unmount osts
>and run  for half of OSTs:
>
>tunefs.lustre --network=tcp0
>
>and for another half:
>
>tunefs.lustre --network=tcp1
>
>Mounted OSTs back. The client still sends all traffic through tcp0. I
>have suspicion that --network option is to separate from different
>network types, like tcp, o2ib, etc.
>
>Probably I will go bonding way.

For Ethernet, bonding is the preferred method. Use the standard method, and
then point Lustre at the 'bond' interface.
The modprobe option 'networks=' is used to bind hardware interfaces, for
kernel bonding you would normally use: options lnet networks=tcp(bond0)

See
http://wiki.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual20_HTML/SettingUpBonding.html#504
38258_99571
For more (perhaps a little old) info.