[Lustre-discuss] 1.8.x server for el6

Peter Jones pjones at whamcloud.com
Thu Jan 5 10:12:36 PST 2012

inline

On 12-01-05 9:21 AM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On 2012-01-05, at 3:29 AM, Michael Sternberg wrote:
>> I am wondering about the release matrix for Lustre vs. RHEL/CentOS.

>> Lustre		lustre.org	whamcloud
>> Release		------------	------------
>> 		el5	el6	el5	el6
>> 1.8.7 client	yes	no	yes	yes
>> 1.8.7 server	yes	no	yes	no
>>
>> 2.0		(discontinued)	    n/a
>>
>> 2.1   client	     n/a	yes	yes
>> 2.1   server	     n/a	yes	yes
>>
>> http://downloads.lustre.org/public/lustre/v1.8/lustre_1.8.7/
>> http://downloads.whamcloud.com/public/lustre/lustre-1.8.7-wc1/el6/
>> http://downloads.whamcloud.com/public/lustre/lustre-2.1.0/
>>

>> It appears that the current recommended production release is Lustre-1.8, and, since there is no server for el6 I take that as a strong hint to stick to el5.
> For new deployments the recommended version is 2.1.0 with RHEL6.1.  We are
> starting work on a 2.1.1 maintenance release for the spring.
While it is not often that I would disagree with Andreas, I would say
that the answer on this point depends upon your timing. Right now, if
stability is your primary driver (and it sounds like it is) then I would
recommend 1.8.7-wc1. The early feedback from 2.1 is very encouraging,
but I think that we need a little more production feedback before we
could confidently assert that 2.1.x is the default option.

>> Is there some more information public? I was planning to upgrade a cluster to el6. Ideally, I'd like to have servers and user nodes all on the same major OS release. However, stability will trump that.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger                       Whamcloud, Inc.
> Principal Engineer                   http://www.whamcloud.com/

Peter Jones
Whamcloud, Inc.
www.whamcloud.com