[Lustre-discuss] How to write more databytes on a file if ost is full

Kevin Van Maren KVanMaren at fusionio.com
Thu Jan 26 07:31:02 PST 2012

Yes, this is the expected behavior.  Lustre is (still) unable to change the static stripe information after a file is created, so once a file is allocated on an OST, if that OST becomes full, Lustre will not be able to grow the file regardless of the space available on other OSTs.

The workaround for this issue is to "cp" the file to a temporary name on the same file system, where it is likely to be allocated on the new OST with free space, and then rename the new file over the old one.  Now repeat until you have achieved the desired balance of free space.

lfs_migrate is a tool that automates this process somewhat.  See http://wiki.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual20_HTML/UserUtilities_HTML.html#50438206_42260

Kevin