[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 2.x support on vanilla kernels

Andrew Savchenko bircoph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:11:56 PDT 2012

Hello,

we are building an HPC IB-backed cluster and are considering to
use Lustre 2.x for our distributed and parallel cluster storage.

What bothers me that only RedHat-based systems are claimed to be
supported. We will likely use Gentoo on our computing nodes, this
effectively means vanilla kernels. On Lustre servers we may install
RedHat, this is an acceptable, but not a desirable solution.

On clients we will definitely use 3.x kernels, so I'd like to know
a current status of Lustre client support. They are patchless to my
knowledge, so should work on any recent kernel, but your mileage may
vary.

Also if someone have an experience with Lustre 2.x servers on vanilla
kernels, it will be welcome.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko