[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 2.x support on vanilla kernels

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Wed Jun 6 16:08:08 PDT 2012

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 01:55:35 +0400 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:01:22 -0600 Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> Note that Lustre 2.2 is not yet designated a maintenance release, so will not necessarily be getting fixes and updated releases. If this is for a production system, and you are not prepared to be making your own updates, you should stick with 2.1.x.
>>
>> The 2.1.2 release is imminent, but for now 2.1.1 is the latest maintenance release.
>
> We're planning to use Lustre for production purposes in about half a
> year. Until then it will be used for testing and to create client
> packages and related build system parts.
>
> So if 2.2 branch will be eventually put to maintenance, half a year
> looks like a good time. If it may never become a maintained branch,
> then I'll stick with 2.1 branch.

Currently there is no plan to move away from 2.1.x as the maintenance branch.  The next long-term maintenance branch may not be until 2.3 or 2.4, but this will be decided in the future.  We definitely do not want to discourage testing and usage of Lustre 2.2 for experienced users that are already expecting to be doing maintenance themselves, but it has not been getting fixes for known issues that are landing on master and 2.1.x.

Andreas Dilger                       Whamcloud, Inc.
Principal Lustre Engineer            http://www.whamcloud.com/