[Lustre-discuss] MMP: lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org

DaMiri Young damiri at unt.edu
Thu Jun 7 14:31:09 PDT 2012

Hi All,
We are recovering from a Lustre 1.6 error. We believe this error
resulted from
several drives failing simultaneously. We replaced the failed drives and
while
down, upgraded the controller & enclosure firmware on the S2A9900.

After getting the appliance back online we are now trying to run e2fsck
on all
20 luns to verify. 4 of the 20 luns report:
--------------------------- begin e2fsck (e2fsck 1.40.11.sun1) -----
e2fsck: MMP: invalid magic number in header while trying to open
/dev/mpath/lun_20
/dev/mpath/lun_20:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

As per another post:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.lustre.user/10443
it seems 'tune2fs -f -E clear-mmp /dev/device' can be used to clear the
flag.

My questions are:
1. Is the a recommended course of action here?
2. Does this increase the chance of data loss?

I'll be happy to provide more info upon request. Please advise.

Best Regards,
DaMiri