[Lustre-discuss] broken quotas

John White jwhite at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 28 10:23:58 PDT 2012

(sorry if this is a dupe, but it looks like my mails aren't posting to the list)

Hello Folks,
	A while back we accidentally started a 1.8.x cluster up with 2.x software (a git command was missed setting it to the 1_8 branch).  During that work, we attempted to enable quotas on 2 file systems (generated the initial file, etc).  Once we realized our mistake, we back-rev'd to the 1.8.x train and most everything went back smoothly except for quotas. Now whenever we attempt any quota related commands, we get ioctl errors.  For example:
[root at lrc-xfer ~]# lfs quota -u jwhite /clusterfs/vulcan/pscratch
Unexpected quotactl error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Disk quotas for user jwhite (uid 40227):
   Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
/clusterfs/vulcan/pscratch
                  [0]     [0]     [0]       -     [0]     [0]     [0]       -
Some errors happened when getting quota info. Some devices may be not working or deactivated. The data in "[]" is inaccurate.
[root at lrc-xfer ~]#

Does anyone know of a way to kick the quota internals to reset themselves and initialize under the 1.8.x setup?
John White
HPC Systems Engineer
(510) 486-7307
One Cyclotron Rd, MS: 50C-3209C